ProQuest – Who we are…
The ProQuest Mission: Better research. Better learning, Better insights. ProQuest enables people to change their world. ProQuest supports the efforts of students and researchers across the globe. Providing important research tools and curating treasure troves of content has helped ProQuest to become an industry leader in the Information Services market.
Senior Software Engineer
What will I be doing?
As a Senior Software Engineer at ProQuest, you will be responsible for the design, implementation, and testing phases of the software development life cycle. As a Sr. Software Engineer on the Dissertations and Thesis development team, you will be involved in the development and maintenance of Java-based web services that are used to create these products.
In this position, you will also…
• Implement software for specifications of high complexity for limited scale systems, or medium to high complexity for large-scale systems.
• Manually test and build unit tests for all assigned applications.
• Participate as a team member on various engineering projects and may lead small projects.
• Implement design changes to improve quality, performance, cost reduction, and standardization through analysis of designs and problem-solving techniques.
• Respond to direct or indirect customer inquiries regarding function and design and attends customer meetings.
• Suggest alternative methodologies or techniques to achieving desired results.
• Maintain an understanding of products, manufacturing processes, and product applications. Local expert in assigned project.
• Write application technical documentation.
• Review and revise new procedures as needed for the continuing development of high-quality systems.
• Provide technical training to other team members.
• Participate in the creation, implementation, and administration of departmental policies, procedures, and work instructions.
• Maintain knowledge of technical advances and evaluates new hardware/software for company use.
Qualified Candidates must have…
• Bachelors’ degree or higher in the related field, such as Computer Engineering or Computer Science, plus at least 6 years of software development experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Strong Java software development skills which include coding, testing and debugging in an agile environment.
• Ability to learn and master standard programming languages
• Ability to understand and programmatically manipulate XML
• Ability to write functional/detailed design specifications based on user or system requirements
• Ability to work with standard office tools
• Ability to work with source control systems
• Ability to work with design tools (e.g. Visio)
• Ability to work in an agile environment
Reasons you should apply….
• If you enjoy working with Java software
• If you enjoy interesting technical challenges
• If you enjoy being exposed to many different technologies
This job may not be a fit if……
• You prefer front-end development; this would not be the job for you!
• You do not have AWS experience
• You do not have XML experience
Superstar Candidates will ALSO have…
• Previous experience writing and reviewing User Stories
• Experience with large-scale web systems in a 24x7 production environment
• Working knowledge using SQL databases
• REST interface experience
• Experience using technologies such as AWS, Git, Apache and Tomcat
At ProQuest, we embrace the power of our people and value our differences — in thought, style, sexual orientation, gender identity, culture, ethnicity, and experience — recognizing that our diversity makes us a stronger company. Encouraging a diverse, inclusive workplace gives us the business advantage of understanding and meeting the needs of our diverse customers, clients, and communities.
More to love about becoming a PQ employee!
• Forbes Ranks ProQuest among 2018 America’s Best Mid-Size Employers
• We offer professional development opportunities with a significant focus on learning
• Our employee population is smart and highly collaborative
• All of our employees have access to ProQuest research products including e-books, genealogy and academic journals
Other important information about this position:
• This position is a remote opportunity or can be based at our Ann Arbor, Michigan office.
• This position requires weekday (Monday - Friday) attendance with some scheduling flexibility available around core working hours.
• Every position requires certain physical capabilities. ProQuest seeks to make reasonable accommodations that enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties when possible.
At ProQuest, we work hard and have fun doing it. If you’re a talented professional in search of a career opportunity within a Global Organization, please consider joining our talented team!!
Link for Forbes Best Mid-Size Employers: https://www.proquest.com/about/news/2018/Forbes-Ranks-ProQuest-Among-Americas-Best-Mid-Size-Employers.html
ProQuest is committed to empowering researchers and librarians around the world. The company’s portfolio of assets -- including content, technologies and deep expertise -- drives better research outcomes for users and greater efficiency for the libraries and organizations that serve them.
ProQuest is a key partner for content holders of all types, preserving and enabling access to their rich and varied information. Those partnerships have built a growing content collection that now encompasses 90,000 authoritative sources, 6 billion digital pages and spans six centuries. It includes the world’s largest collection of dissertations and theses; 20 million pages and three centuries of global, national, regional and specialty newspapers; more than 450,000 ebooks; rich aggregated collections of the world’s most important scholarly journals and periodicals; and unique vaults of digitized historical collections from great libraries and museums, as well as organizations as varied as the Royal Archives, the Associated Press and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.
This vast content allows serious research of virtually any research topic from multiple perspectives and across multiple formats. Precision search of the content is enabled through ProQuest’s renowned ability to structure data for simple access and discovery by students, scholars and information seekers of all kinds. These ProQuest technologies uncover the right content at the right time, while others streamline research routines with automated bibliographic support and document management, and by providing online platforms for anytime, any place collaboration. For librarians, ProQuest is an essential partner in driving the transformation of their organizations, providing practical and increasingly interoperable Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) solutions for acquisition, assessment, management and marketing of their information collections.
ProQuest’s innovations are built from a spectrum of expertise that has developed organically and as companies have joined the enterprise. Affiliate Bowker is acclaimed for its century of experience in the organization of book data via classics such as Books in Print. ProQuest’s aggregation solutions are supported by renowned skills in abstracting and indexing, while its historical collections leverage unique talent in the preservation and digitization of rare archival collections. Its EBooks area – encompassing pioneering brands ebrary and EBL-EBook Library – solve challenges related to emerging electronic formats. Other notable brands include the iconic ProQuest Dialog® information service that powers innovation in corporations; the Summon® discovery service, which enables patrons search their library’s collection through a single online portal; RefWorks, which provides students and faculty with a digital space for collaboration and management of all their research; Pivot™, a resource that matches funding and collaborators with researchers; and Intota®, a new management platform that enables libraries to make the shift from print to “e.”
ProQuest is headquartered in Ann Arbor, Michigan, with offices around the world.