ProQuest – Who we are…
The ProQuest Mission: Better research. Better learning, Better insights. ProQuest enables people to change their world. ProQuest supports the efforts of students and researchers across the globe. Providing important research tools and curating treasure troves of content has helped ProQuest to become an industry leader in the Information Services market.
What will I be doing?
As a .Net Developer on the Ebook Central librarian team, you'll be working on projects with universities around the world. You'll be exposed to the full stack of our products, including but not limited to end-user web interfaces, large data bases, web servers with thousands of concurrent connections around the clock.
In this position, you will also…
• Implement software specifications of medium complexity for limited scale systems
• Participate as a team member on various engineering projects
• Suggest alternative methodologies or techniques to achieving desired results
• Develop and maintain understanding of products, manufacturing processes, and product applications
• Manually test and unit test all assigned applications
• Write application technical documentation
• Review and revise new procedures as needed for the continuing development of high quality systems
• Maintain knowledge of technical advances and evaluate new hardware/software for company use
• Follow departmental policies, procedures and work instructions
• Work closely with higher-level engineers to increase functional knowledge
You might be a fit if…
1. You enjoy working on databases and website code at the same time
2. You have a passion for .NET
This job may not be a fit if...
1. You prefer to stay in your comfort zone, avoiding new technologies and concepts
2. You are not comfortable picking up new concepts and terminology
Qualified Candidates must have…
• Bachelors’ degree or higher in related field, such as Software Engineering or Computer Science, plus at least 4 years of software development experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Minimum 2 years’ experience with .NET
• Ability to learn and master standard programming languages
• Ability to write detailed design specification based on user requirements
• Advanced knowledge of relational database concepts and experience with SQL Server or MySQL or equivalent
• Good understanding and experience with object-oriented languages such a C#, .NET or Java
• Good understanding of web-based applications and related design patterns
• Ability to work with source control systems and design tools
• Ability to work in an agile environment
Superstar Candidates will ALSO have…
• Experience with version control software such as Git or SVN
• Experience with caching technologies such as Redis or Memchached
• Good understanding of agile development processes
• Some experience with Windows server management
More to love about becoming a PQ employee!
• Forbes Ranks ProQuest among 2018 America’s Best Mid-Size Employers
• We offer professional development opportunities with a significant focus on learning
• We hold fun on-site events
• Our employee population is smart and highly collaborative
• We have a relaxed dress code… yes, that means blue jeans (and not just on Fridays!)
• All of our employees have access to ProQuest research products including e-books, genealogy and academic journals
Other important information about this position:
• This role is based in our Ann Arbor, MI office.
• This position requires weekday (Monday - Friday) attendance with scheduling flexibility available around standard business hours to accommodate clients in alternate geographies and time zones.
• Every position requires certain physical capabilities. ProQuest seeks to make reasonable accommodations that enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties when possible.
At ProQuest, we work hard and have fun doing it. If you are a dedicated and passionate technologist, please consider joining our talented team!!
ProQuest is committed to empowering researchers and librarians around the world. The company’s portfolio of assets -- including content, technologies and deep expertise -- drives better research outcomes for users and greater efficiency for the libraries and organizations that serve them.
ProQuest is a key partner for content holders of all types, preserving and enabling access to their rich and varied information. Those partnerships have built a growing content collection that now encompasses 90,000 authoritative sources, 6 billion digital pages and spans six centuries. It includes the world’s largest collection of dissertations and theses; 20 million pages and three centuries of global, national, regional and specialty newspapers; more than 450,000 ebooks; rich aggregated collections of the world’s most important scholarly journals and periodicals; and unique vaults of digitized historical collections from great libraries and museums, as well as organizations as varied as the Royal Archives, the Associated Press and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.
This vast content allows serious research of virtually any research topic from multiple perspectives and across multiple formats. Precision search of the content is enabled through ProQuest’s renowned ability to structure data for simple access and discovery by students, scholars and information seekers of all kinds. These ProQuest technologies uncover the right content at the right time, while others streamline research routines with automated bibliographic support and document management, and by providing online platforms for anytime, any place collaboration. For librarians, ProQuest is an essential partner in driving the transformation of their organizations, providing practical and increasingly interoperable Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) solutions for acquisition, assessment, management and marketing of their information collections.
ProQuest’s innovations are built from a spectrum of expertise that has developed organically and as companies have joined the enterprise. Affiliate Bowker is acclaimed for its century of experience in the organization of book data via classics such as Books in Print. ProQuest’s aggregation solutions are supported by renowned skills in abstracting and indexing, while its historical collections leverage unique talent in the preservation and digitization of rare archival collections. Its EBooks area – encompassing pioneering brands ebrary and EBL-EBook Library – solve challenges related to emerging electronic formats. Other notable brands include the iconic ProQuest Dialog® information service that powers innovation in corporations; the Summon® discovery service, which enables patrons search their library’s collection through a single online portal; RefWorks, which provides students and faculty with a digital space for collaboration and management of all their research; Pivot™, a resource that matches funding and collaborators with researchers; and Intota®, a new management platform that enables libraries to make the shift from print to “e.”
ProQuest is headquartered in Ann Arbor, Michigan, with offices around the world.