Ex Libris, a Proquest Company – Who we are…
Ex Libris, a ProQuest company, is a leading global provider of cloud-based solutions for higher education. Offering SaaS solutions for the management and discovery of the full spectrum of library and scholarly materials, as well as mobile campus solutions driving student engagement and success, Ex Libris serves thousands of customers in 90 countries. For more information about Ex Libris, see our website, and join us on Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn, and Twitter.
Metadata Librarian (Cataloging)
What will I be doing?
As a member of the Content Operations team, the Metadata Librarian (Cataloging) is responsible for creating, enhancing, and reconciling MARC and other authority data in Ex Libris knowledgebases. The ideal candidate is someone who is excited about the future of library metadata beyond MARC and who has a grounded understanding of the role that metadata plays in driving library services.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Metadata Librarian is responsible for ensuring the quality and timeliness of updates and additions for all authority work. The incumbent performs gap analysis to identify what metadata is missing and works with outsource vendors, libraries, and publishers to obtain metadata, or create original cataloging, to fill those gaps.
• Drive scope and timeliness of the metadata tracked in Ex Libris knowledgebases, creating authority records, and normalizing knowledgebase titles to the authority records to ensure bibliographic accuracy for customers
• Demonstrate customer focus by quickly analyzing and correcting issues reported by customers, Library Support and/or providers. Resolve incidents within defined timeframe established by the department
• Develop and maintain relationships with both key MARC record providers and customers to support proactive identification of improvements for department processes and systems
• Assist with maintaining the department documentation and training manuals, including identifying best practices and championing improvements associated with management of workflow.
• Responsible for contributing to data management requirements and specifications that support organizational initiatives
• May provide the following: training to new Metadata Librarians, Customer Experience, and Sales; help identifying new strategies to improve content and metadata acquisition and integration workflow; assistance to senior members of the team on projects; ideas for new internal tools or improvements to existing ones; representation to the industry, developing relationships with key industry contacts (publishers, standards committees, and customers).
Qualified Candidates must have…
• Masters’ degree or higher in related field, such as Library Sciences
• At least 2 years’ related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Knowledgeable of bibliographic metadata standards (e.g., MARC, BIBFRAME, RDA, FRBR) or aspects of electronic resource management within a library setting
• Demonstrated proficiency in managing publication metadata to defined specifications
• Experience working with library industry and other bibliographic databases, and ability to deftly enter and manipulate data within them
• Excellent researching and problem solving and troubleshooting skills, including the ability to analyze, compare, evaluate, reconcile and order data
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to professionally interact with a diverse blend of personalities to reach resolution and maintain strong relationships
• Work effectively across functional groups to meet aggressive schedules
• Ability to learn quickly and efficiently within an environment of changing priorities
• Proficient use of Microsoft Office with an emphasis in Excel
• Ability to work independently and take ownership of assigned databases, metadata, and client relationships
• Strong working knowledge of a variety of metadata standards (e.g. MARC, ONIX, OAI-PMH, MODS, XML, Dublin Core, AACR2/RDA, etc), as well as an understanding of controlled vocabularies, thesauri, and taxonomies
• Ability to create or contribute to appropriate written documentation such as problem statements, business requirements, functional specifications, and other project support documentation
• Attention to detail and accuracy while handling a high volume workload
Superstar Candidates will ALSO have…
• Understanding of Bibframe and linked data in a library environment
• Experience in creating MARC records following RDA or AACR2 cataloging rules
• Some knowledge of XSLT, Java, Perl, Ruby, Python, or other programming languages that aid in data manipulation is very beneficial
• Fluency in additional languages
• Project management skills and experience
More to love about becoming an Ex Libris/ ProQuest employee!
• Forbes Ranks ProQuest among 2018 America’s Best Mid-Size Employers
• We offer professional development opportunities with a significant focus on learning
• We hold fun on-site events
• Our employee population is smart and highly collaborative
• We have a relaxed dress code… yes, that means blue jeans (and not just on Fridays!)
• All of our employees have access to ProQuest research products including e-books, genealogy and academic journals
Other important information about this position:
• This position is based in the Ann Arbor ProQuest office.
• Occasional travel may be required.
•This position requires weekday (Monday - Friday) attendance with some scheduling flexibility available around core working hours.
• Every position requires certain physical capabilities. ProQuest seeks to make reasonable accommodations that enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties when possible.
At Ex Libris, we work hard and have fun doing it. If you are interested in joining a purpose-driven company, please consider joining our talented team!!
At ProQuest/ Ex Libris, we embrace the power of our people and value our differences — in thought, style, sexual orientation, gender identity, culture, ethnicity, and experience — recognizing that our diversity makes us a stronger company. Encouraging a diverse, inclusive workplace gives us the business advantage of understanding and meeting the needs of our diverse customers, clients, and communities.
Link for Forbes Best Mid-Size Employers: https://www.proquest.com/about/news/2018/Forbes-Ranks-ProQuest-Among-Americas-Best-Mid-Size-Employers.html
Ann Arbor = Forbes Happiest Places to Work
ProQuest is committed to empowering researchers and librarians around the world. The company’s portfolio of assets -- including content, technologies and deep expertise -- drives better research outcomes for users and greater efficiency for the libraries and organizations that serve them.
ProQuest is a key partner for content holders of all types, preserving and enabling access to their rich and varied information. Those partnerships have built a growing content collection that now encompasses 90,000 authoritative sources, 6 billion digital pages and spans six centuries. It includes the world’s largest collection of dissertations and theses; 20 million pages and three centuries of global, national, regional and specialty newspapers; more than 450,000 ebooks; rich aggregated collections of the world’s most important scholarly journals and periodicals; and unique vaults of digitized historical collections from great libraries and museums, as well as organizations as varied as the Royal Archives, the Associated Press and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.
This vast content allows serious research of virtually any research topic from multiple perspectives and across multiple formats. Precision search of the content is enabled through ProQuest’s renowned ability to structure data for simple access and discovery by students, scholars and information seekers of all kinds. These ProQuest technologies uncover the right content at the right time, while others streamline research routines with automated bibliographic support and document management, and by providing online platforms for anytime, any place collaboration. For librarians, ProQuest is an essential partner in driving the transformation of their organizations, providing practical and increasingly interoperable Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) solutions for acquisition, assessment, management and marketing of their information collections.
ProQuest’s innovations are built from a spectrum of expertise that has developed organically and as companies have joined the enterprise. Affiliate Bowker is acclaimed for its century of experience in the organization of book data via classics such as Books in Print. ProQuest’s aggregation solutions are supported by renowned skills in abstracting and indexing, while its historical collections leverage unique talent in the preservation and digitization of rare archival collections. Its EBooks area – encompassing pioneering brands ebrary and EBL-EBook Library – solve challenges related to emerging electronic formats. Other notable brands include the iconic ProQuest Dialog® information service that powers innovation in corporations; the Summon® discovery service, which enables patrons search their library’s collection through a single online portal; RefWorks, which provides students and faculty with a digital space for collaboration and management of all their research; Pivot™, a resource that matches funding and collaborators with researchers; and Intota®, a new management platform that enables libraries to make the shift from print to “e.”
ProQuest is headquartered in Ann Arbor, Michigan, with offices around the world.