ProQuest – Who we are…ProQuest – Who we are…
The ProQuest Mission: Better research. Better learning, Better insights.
What if you came to work each day ready to revolutionize the future of research, teaching and learning? That’s how it feels to be a ProQuest employee. Whatever your chosen career path, you have an important role in helping ProQuest build the resources that empower librarians, faculty and students to create extraordinary outcomes. Software Engineer
What will I be doing?
The Linux Engineer Associate executes tasks in support of projects, security, installation, adds, changes, and deletes under the guidance and direction of Unix Engineering team.
In this position, you will also…
• Executes server hardware and unix/linux operating system configuration changes in support of complex and routine projects.
• Engages in a wide variety of first level systems troubleshooting tasks including infrastructure hardware, software, and security issues via the company trouble ticketing system and escalation process.
• Installs and configures new and replacement server devices including hardware, operating systems, third party software, and physical infrastructure.
• Configures server monitoring and automated escalations leveraging ProQuest best practices and industry standard software.
• Participates in troubleshooting large, complex, multi-team issues impacting N-Tier Client Server and SOA applications.
• Supports technology and software development teams and end users with server related questions and issues.
• Responds to and drives to completion any issues reported during assigned pager rotations.
• Integrates new standards, specifications, and technologies into existing processes and methodologies.
• Maintains and advances technical and non-technical skills.
• Leverages in-house and outside resources for training and shares knowledge acquired with the team.
• Follows ProQuest defined change management processes.
• Participates in team/department/company meetings.
Reasons you should apply...
1. You have experience working in Linux operating systems!
2. You enjoy collaborating with other teams!
3. You want to work in a purpose driven organization!
This job may not be a fit if...
1. You don’t have any experience with Linux operating systems.
2. You do your best work as a solo artist; the rest of the group just slows you down.
Qualified Candidates must have…
• Associate’s degree or higher in related field, plus 1 year of related work experience, or equivalent combination of education/certification and experience.
• Basic knowledge of at least three of the following: server hardware, unix operating systems, linux operating systems, unix services or security.
• Experience with problem solving, including the ability to capture, analyze, compare, evaluate, reconcile and order data.
• Strong interpersonal skills, with ability to professionally interact with a diverse blend of personalities to reach resolution and maintain strong relationships.
• Ability and strong desire to learn and master new technology.
• Experience working in a fast paced, complex environment with rapidly changing priorities.
• Strong written communications skills.
• Experience providing regular status updates and working with your leadership to define priorities and expectations.
Superstar Candidates will ALSO have…
• Vendor certifications, RedHat (RHCSA or higher).
• Hands on experience with Cisco UCSM.
• Hands on experience with Cisco UCS B/C, HP BL/DL or Sun/Oracle Servers.
• Hands on experience with Unix Services (DNS, FTP, NTP, DHCP, LDAP).
More to love about becoming a PQ employee!
• Forbes Ranks ProQuest among 2018 America’s Best Mid-Size Employers
• We offer professional development opportunities with a significant focus on learning
• We hold fun on-site events
• Our employee population is smart and highly collaborative
• We have a relaxed dress code… yes, that means blue jeans (and not just on Fridays!)
• All of our employees have access to ProQuest research products including e-books, genealogy and academic journals
At ProQuest, we embrace the power of our people and value our differences — in thought, style, sexual orientation, gender identity, culture, ethnicity, and experience — recognizing that our diversity makes us a stronger company. Encouraging a diverse, inclusive workplace gives us the business advantage of understanding and meeting the needs of our diverse customers, clients, and communities.
Other important information about this position:
• This position is based in our ProQuest office located in Ann Arbor, MI.
• This position requires weekday (Monday - Friday) attendance with some scheduling flexibility available around core working hours.
• Every position requires certain physical capabilities. ProQuest/PQ seeks to make reasonable accommodations that enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties when possible.
At ProQuest, we work hard and have fun doing it. If you are a passionate technology professional with a drive for success, please consider joining our talented team!!
ProQuest is committed to empowering researchers and librarians around the world. The company’s portfolio of assets -- including content, technologies and deep expertise -- drives better research outcomes for users and greater efficiency for the libraries and organizations that serve them.
ProQuest is a key partner for content holders of all types, preserving and enabling access to their rich and varied information. Those partnerships have built a growing content collection that now encompasses 90,000 authoritative sources, 6 billion digital pages and spans six centuries. It includes the world’s largest collection of dissertations and theses; 20 million pages and three centuries of global, national, regional and specialty newspapers; more than 450,000 ebooks; rich aggregated collections of the world’s most important scholarly journals and periodicals; and unique vaults of digitized historical collections from great libraries and museums, as well as organizations as varied as the Royal Archives, the Associated Press and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.
This vast content allows serious research of virtually any research topic from multiple perspectives and across multiple formats. Precision search of the content is enabled through ProQuest’s renowned ability to structure data for simple access and discovery by students, scholars and information seekers of all kinds. These ProQuest technologies uncover the right content at the right time, while others streamline research routines with automated bibliographic support and document management, and by providing online platforms for anytime, any place collaboration. For librarians, ProQuest is an essential partner in driving the transformation of their organizations, providing practical and increasingly interoperable Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) solutions for acquisition, assessment, management and marketing of their information collections.
ProQuest’s innovations are built from a spectrum of expertise that has developed organically and as companies have joined the enterprise. Affiliate Bowker is acclaimed for its century of experience in the organization of book data via classics such as Books in Print. ProQuest’s aggregation solutions are supported by renowned skills in abstracting and indexing, while its historical collections leverage unique talent in the preservation and digitization of rare archival collections. Its EBooks area – encompassing pioneering brands ebrary and EBL-EBook Library – solve challenges related to emerging electronic formats. Other notable brands include the iconic ProQuest Dialog® information service that powers innovation in corporations; the Summon® discovery service, which enables patrons search their library’s collection through a single online portal; RefWorks, which provides students and faculty with a digital space for collaboration and management of all their research; Pivot™, a resource that matches funding and collaborators with researchers; and Intota®, a new management platform that enables libraries to make the shift from print to “e.”
ProQuest is headquartered in Ann Arbor, Michigan, with offices around the world.